Thursday, October 7, 2021

Big Crabs caught on Tavern Creek in 4-5' of water 69-70 degrees water temp.

 Despite trouble with the crab boat that kept me at bay for the last month, I was finally able to get out today around 7am to try the legendary Fall crabbing season.  It was a rather placid day around 66 degrees air temp.

I started off in Tavern Creek and layed 10 traps baited with chick necks in about 4 feet of water.  I had crabbed here before throughout the summer picking up 3-4 crabs in an outing.  Not great, but being on the water made up for the lack of production.

While the crab traps soaked, I turned to fishing with a Mepps spinner right off of Swan Point.  I've had luck with this before so I knew I'd see action or some sort.  I month back I landed a 20" Rockfish that really made my day.  Today though I hooked into two blue catfish with one being over 5lbs.  I also caught the obligatory perch and even to my surprise a pumpkin seed.  Fitting I suppose for October. 

Chesapeake Pumpkin Seed caught in Swan Creek, Rock Hall MD

Best day crabbing I've had all year.  



No comments:

Post a Comment